The Art of Video Games
For more on the intersection of art and video games, read ESA's "Games: Improving Art" backgrounder.
After an enormously popular six-month presentation at the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington, DC, "The Art of Video Games" (see trailer below) began its 10-city nationwide tour in October 2012.
The groundbreaking exhibition explores the 40-year evolution of video games as an artistic medium. It attracted more than 680,000 visitors to the Smithsonian, making it one of the most-visited exhibitions in the museum's history.
ESAF awarded a grant to the Smithsonian in 2012 for "The Art of Video Games" exhibition and related educational programs.
The exhibition will travel to the following cities:
- Boca Raton Museum of Art in Boca Raton, Florida
October 24, 2012–January 20, 2013
- EMP Museum in Seattle, Washington
February 16, 2013–May 13, 2013
- Phoenix Art Museum in Phoenix, Arizona
June 16, 2013—September 29, 2013
- Everson Museum of Art in Syracuse, New York
October 25, 2013–January 19, 2014
- Hudson River Museum in Yonkers, New York
February 15, 2014–May 18, 2014
- Toledo Museum of Art in Toledo, Ohio
June 19, 2014–September 28, 2014
- Flint Institute of Arts in Flint, Michigan
October 25, 2014–January 18, 2015
- Chrysler Museum of Art in Norfolk, Virginia
February 13, 2015–May 10, 2015
- Memphis Brooks Museum of Art in Memphis, Tennessee
June 6, 2015–September 13, 2015
- The Patricia and Phillip Frost Art Museum at Florida International University in Miami, Florida
October 9, 2015–January 25, 2016
(Source: Smithsonian Museum of American Art)